The Huerfano County Sheriff’s Department is currently seeking applicants for a Jail Administrator. This is your opportunity to join a dedicated team that is committed to serving and protecting the community. The successful candidate will oversee the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the County Jail and manage 8-10 direct reports.
What you Will Do
- Manages and coordinates all functions at the County Jail, including prisoner safety, inmate social service programs, medical assistance, and food service.
- Establishes policies and procedures to provide for inmate security and ensures that the rights of inmates are provided for in accordance with State and Federal Statutes, facility policy and regulations and Court decisions.
- Ensures that Detention Officers are appropriately allocated among shifts and duty posts and provides for staff training in conjunction with state-mandated in-service training requirements.
- Reviews the work performance of officers and recommends disciplinary action when required.
- Directs the staff responsible for coordinating mandated inmate programs including religious, educational and mental health service programs during incarceration and referrals for programs upon release to the community.
- Coordinates and maintains medical and dental contracts to provide services to inmates and ensures that dietary requirements for inmates are provided.
- Develops, implements, periodically reviews and revises jail policy and procedure to maintain a safe and secure environment for staff and inmates and to conform to Colorado Jail Standards.
- Monitors, supervises and provides direction and guidance to staff and inmates. Monitors and supervises all jail programs and records.
- Develops, monitors and reviews training for new and existing staff.
- Responds to and handles employee grievances, to the extent possible, at the Administrator level. Responds to and handles inmate grievances.
- Monitors and supervises classification and inmate discipline. Administers employee discipline with the advice and consent of the Sheriff and Undersheriff.
- Oversees computer technology and equipment for the jail, which includes fingerprinting, digital photography and video arraignment.
- Public spokesperson for the jail as directed by the Sheriff. Handles other such duties as assigned by the Sheriff or Undersheriff.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Your starting annual salary will range between $47,000 – $55,500 depending on your experience.
Expressions of interest should be sent to Krissie Aldretti at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants will be required to submit an HCSO Employment Application.
You are someone who effectively exceeds expectations by building productive relationships and taking responsibility for their actions. You actively participate as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals while producing quality outcomes. You take great pride in proactively managing time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently while accomplishing objectives and achieving goals beyond what is required.
At Huerfano County, we hire creative, forward-thinking problem-solvers who love what they do! In addition to possessing the ability to live out our core values daily, candidates must possess the following requirements:
- Demonstrated experience in Public Administration or Management and/or supervisor; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, police regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write detailed reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before the public or employees of the organization.
Up For the Challenge
In addition to a competitive salary, Huerfano County offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision plans
- Flexible schedules
Join our team! If you are looking for an opportunity to make an impact, and get excited about doing interesting work that matters, then apply now and begin your next professional adventure. We can’t think of a better place to put your talents to work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; sit; and talk; or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Employee may occasionally have to physically restrain arrestees and engage in a physical confrontation to take actively resisting persons into custody.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the primary functions of this job. Performs frequent visits to the Correctional Facilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Huerfano County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.