What Does the Veteran Service Officer (VSO) do?
The VSO helps active and retired veterans with obtaining their benefits. This includes personal military records, military proof-of-service, help and filing VA claim and pension applications, grave marker and burial benefits, G.I. Bill/Post 911 Bill education applications and employment, adaptive housing applications, and survivor benefits.
Veterans Service Officer: Destry DeWolf
Phone: 719-738-3000 ext.838 (VET)
Address: 401 Main Street, Suite 303,
Walsenburg, CO 81089
Mondays, 8:15 AM – 2:30 PM for walk-ins
Tuesdays, 8:15 AM – 2:30 PM
Fridays, 8:15 AM – 1:40 PM
Appointments Strongly Encouraged on Tuesdays and Fridays, VSO will see walk-ins if free.
Wear R.E.D. Friday!
Support your past, present, and future U.S. military by wearing something red on Fridays.
Huerfano County Government has teamed up with Alamosa County to provide veterans with free transportation to and from prescheduled VA appointments in Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and to the main VA hospital in Denver.
Information on how to schedule trips and other guidelines are below. For more information please contact the Huerfano County Veterans Service Officer.
- Alamosa will pick up veterans in La Veta, CO at a mutually agreeable location, or at Safeway, located in Walsenburg, CO
- Veterans must make arrangements for transportation services by contacting the Alamosa County Veterans Transportation Director (VTD Mike Lopez at (719) 587-5181 or (719) 850-1629 (c)). Message are checked daily. Typical office hours are Mon from 8am – 10am; and Tue & Fri. from 9 am – 2 pm.
- Veterans must be able to move themselves from a wheelchair to the car and back if they are in a wheelchair. We do not have wheelchair accessible vehicles.
- We cannot transport veterans who are on oxygen unless they use a concentrator.
- Transportation services are not guaranteed and are available on a first come first served basis and are subject to seating availability
- Transportation services should be requested at least two (2) weeks in advance along with proof of appointment.
- Requests for transportation and required documentation may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org